The semifinalists are set for the IHSA state football playoffs.
After Saturday's quarterfinals, seven area teams still standing include Stevenson and Naperville Central in Class 8A, Lake Zurich and Glenbard West in Class 7A, Batavia in Class 6A, Montini in Class 5A and Aurora Christian in Class 3A.
Semifinal games in those classes this weekend will include (with game times being released by the IHSA this afternoon):
• Loyola (11-1) at Stevenson (10-2.
• Marist (9-3) at Naperville Central (9-3)
• Mt. Carmel (11-1) at Edwardsville (12-0)
• Batavia (11-1) at Rockford Boylan (12-0)
• Richards (11-1) at East St. Louis (9-3)
• Sycamore (12-0) at Montini (12-0)
• Washington (12-0) at Springfield Sacred-Heart Griffin (12-0)
• Stillman Valley (10-2) at Aurora Christian (9-3)
• St. Joseph-Ogden (10-2) at Greenville (12-0)
In addition to the football playoffs, the Daily Herald area had three girls volleyball teams playing for state championships at Redbird Arena in Normal over the weekend, with IC Catholic Prep and St. Francis winning titles in Class 2A and Class 3A, respectively, and Benet Academy finishing second in Class 4A. Crystal Lake South was fourth in Class 4A.
The week ahead
In addition to the state football semifinals and the IHSA state girls swimming finals this weekend, the girls basketball season gets under way tonight.