Glenbard South dumps Streamwood in UEC opener

By Scott Miller
Daily Herald Correspondent
Updated 8/24/2018 11:43 PM

Taking advantage of a couple huge breaks Glenbard South made a big splash in its Upstate Eight Conference debut with a 23-10 win at Streamwood on Friday night.

The game was tied 10-10 with just over 2 minutes left to play when an unfortunate miscommunication from the Streamwood sideline on a punt attempt resulted in the Sabres taking a knee and giving the ball up at their 18-yard line.

On the very next play Antonio Carter scored on an 18-yard touchdown run to put Glenbard South ahead 16-10. The Raiders added a 20 yard interception return by Trevon Bryant to seal the deal.

"It was unfortunate what happened on the punt play," Glenbard South coach Ryan Crissey said. "I think everyone was a little shocked. But it's one of those things that happen. I just want to commend Streamwood on playing a great physical game. They are going to be a tough team. We really had to battle and persevere through some things to get this win."

Carter provided a big lift in the second half for the Raiders. After just 3 carries in the first half the senior tailback had 7 rushes for 57 yards in the second half.

"He is such a dynamic athlete," Crissey said. "We knew we had to find a way to get him more involved. He used his combination of explosiveness and patience to make some big runs.

Carter accounted for 35 yards on the Raiders' opening possession of the second half that resulted in a 27-yard field goal to put Glenbard South ahead 10-8.

"The coaches just believed in what I can do," Carter said. "And I just trusted my linemen. We are a small team compared to the rest of the teams in this conference so we are just going to have to play with a lot of heart like we did tonight."

After surrendering a 168 yards of offense to the Sabres in the first half the Glenbard South defense allowed just 68 yards in the second half with 50 of those coming on one play.

"We had to utilize a defense we wanted to save for later in the season," Crissey said. "But desperate times called for desperate measures. We just changed some of our stunting schemes at the line."

The Raiders' defense came up with a huge play in the closing minute of the first half when they forced a fumble at the 1-yard line after the Sabres had driven 65 yards and were looking to extend their 8-7 lead.

"That play really turned the momentum in our favor," Crissey said. "We were able to get multiple guys to the ball."

The Sabres struck first on a 30-yard touchdown run by Sirrion Dixon at the with 21 seconds left in the first half. Tremeyon Sanders added a 2-point conversion run. However, Glenbard South answered right back with an 87-yard kick return for a touchdown by John Klaric.

Sabres quarterback Omar Negron, playing in his first football game at any level, rushed for 157 yards on 24 carries.

"It's unfortunate what happened at the end of the game," Streamwood coach Dan Guindon said. "It was a miscommunication error that I take full responsibility for. I am just so proud of my kids. They have worked so hard and really played well tonight."

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.