South Elgin shuts out Bartlett

By Jared Birchfield
Daily Herald Correspondent
Updated 10/15/2021 11:42 PM

South Elgin took another step closer to a perfect regular season record and the Upstate Eight Conference title with a 41-0 win over Bartlett Friday.

The Storm's record is now 8-0 overall and 7-0 in the league. South Elgin wraps up conference play next Friday at West Chicago.


Bartlett drops to 4-4 both overall and in the Upstate Eight. The Hawks' record makes their season finale next week against East Aurora a must-win situation to become playoff eligible.

The muddy field conditions in Bartlett made any steps a challenge. However, the Storm stuck to their ground game. Quarterback Jordan Jones attempted only two passes early in the game. Neither one was completed.

"We could have thrown more tonight but with these muddy conditions and the ability to control the line of scrimmage there was no sense in throwing the football at all," said South Elgin coach Dragan Teonic.

South Elgin score on four of its six first half possession.

The Storm took a 7-0 lead with 7:36 left in the first half on a 2-yard run by Anthony Marshall. Jones made a 14-0 game on the team's next possession scoring on a 1-yard plunge.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

Marshall's second TD, another 2-yard run at the 6:14 mark of the second quarter, made it a 20-0.

South Elgin's last score of the half was set up by Joshua Camcho's fumble recovery on the Storm's 13-yard line. On the third play from scrimmage, Jalen Jones took a handoff, veered to the left side line and sprinted 76 yards for a touchdown. The Storm led 26-0 at halftime.

Bartlett could not get its offense going in the first half. Five of its first half drives were three-and-outs. The Hawks' second possession of the game was its most promising drive. Bartlett drove down to the Storm's 27-yard line. The drive ended when Kai Paz intercepted a Jacob Scearce pass.

South Elgin widened its lead to 34-0 on Jordan Jones' second TD, a 14-yard run with 7:53 left in the third quarter.

The Storm thought they had scored when Rocco Cataldo recovered a fumble and scampered 3 yards into the end zone late in the third quarter. However, a whistle blew and no one in a striped shirt indicated a touchdown. After a conference, the officials declared it was an inadvertent whistle and allowed South Elgin to replay the down. This time, Spence Menchaca rushed the three yards for the score.

Bartlett was unable to get its offense going in the second half against South Elgin defense, which has only given up four touchdowns all season.

Go to comments: 0 posted
Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.